Requirements For Compliance With Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) Act
The Vehicle Inspection Unit officials have been tasked to ensure that only roadworthy vehicles are allowed on roads. If a driver defaults, he/she can attract hefty punishments.
Traffic laws and regulations in Nigeria were inherited from colonial administration. The first Edith is the 1920 Road Traffic Ordinance of Lagos Colony and Southern Protectorate of Nigeria which was applied to the operations of all motor vehicles until the country was demarcated into region (Northern, Western and Eastern). Therefore after, each region was empowered to promulgate its traffic regulations.
Their duties include: Inspecting and issuing certificates for vehicles' road worthiness, Maintaining the sanity on Nigerian roads and highways &Training and testing drivers for driver's license application.
Requirements Of The Act
The establishment of the Directorate of Motor Vehicle Administration (formally known as VIO) in the Federal States of the Country and FCT was a product of the 1980 International Treaty on the Harmonization of Highways legislations in the ECOWAS Sub-region signed by the Authority of Heads of State and Government, that approved the setting up of appropriate machinery in member state to be responsible among other thing for: Registration of Vehicle, Issuance of Driver’s License, Organizing of Technical Inspection of Vehicle and compilation of statistics, movement of goods and passengers by roads.
Members of the public are supposed to adhere to the following rules:
- a. Lights: Vehicle must have effective head and tail lights, Brake lights and turn signals must be in good condition.
- b. Emission: The vehicle must have an exhaust emission system.
- c. Horn: Good working horns must be heard from a distance of 60 meters.
- d. Body: The general body of the vehicle must be in good condition.
- e. Number Plates: In both front and back, cars must have valid number plates.
- f. Windshield Wipers: The wipers must be working effectively.
- g. Rearview Mirrors: Must be well located/positioned in order to reflect your rear view on the highway for a distance of 60 meters.
- h. Tyres: Tyres must be in good condition, a minimum thread depth of 0.063 inches and not older than 4 years.
- i. Brakes: Foot Brake must stop your car within a distance of 8 meters at a speed of 32km/h.
- j. Parking Brake should be adequate to hold your car.
- k. Other Accessories: This includes your jack, C-caution, extinguisher etc.
Benefits Of Compliance
Issuance of valid Divers license and Avoidance of Fines as listed on the VIO official website under the offences and penalties heading as notice of offence sheet pursuant to section 10(4), 28(2) of FRSC (establishment) act, 2007 and regulation 220 of NRTR, 2012.
Any person applying to register a vehicle shall submit to a licensing authority an application for registration duly completed as in RS Form NMVA/93/l as specified in Schedule 1 of these Regulations and pay to the licensing authority the fees prescribed in Schedule 2 of these Regulations.
An application to register a vehicle shall be accompanied by a certificate of payment or exemption from payment of import duty issued by or under the authority of the Board of Customs and Excise, where the vehicle is an imported vehicle.
How To Apply For A Compliance Conditions
All enquiries regarding these guidelines shall be directed to the Vehicle Inspection Office website or road traffic area commands For proper coverage and coordination, efficient, effective and prompt service delivery in FCT, the Road Traffic Services established the following Traffic Area Commands in the Area Council Headquarters and City centers of the FCT.
Not more than two weeks form the time of application.
Caution: Applicants are strongly advised to deal directly with the Commission in matters relating to Compliance to avoid being defrauded by touts. Applicants can contact the Commissions Compliance and Enforcement Department for further inquiries. Should you encounter any difficulties or are unable to process your Compliance Certificate please do not hesitate to contact any of our approved Professionals by clicking here